Monday, November 17, 2008

The Tattletale List

Shawn and Kerianne were always arguing. They also were constantly interrupting their mother to tattle on one another. Often the things they complained about were very little annoyances. "Do you think your attitude pleases God?" Mom asked them. "Don't you think He'd want you to work out those problems and forgive one another and get along together?" But the children kept on tattling.

"I'm tired of all this!" declared Mom one day. "I'm going to give each of you a notebook. Instead of coming to me with all your complaints, write down anything the other one does that bothers you. After supper next Friday, Dad and I will look at your lists and give out any punishment we feel is necessary."

All right! thought Shawn. Is Kerianne ever going to get it! He could hardly wait till she did something wrong . . . and he didn't have to wait very long before he saw his sister playing with his cars without asking. He ran to get his notebook! All week he watched, and by Friday, Shawn had listed over twenty things he thought Kerianne should not have done.

Just before supper, Kerianne came to him. "I'll show you my list if you'll show me yours," she said. "Okay," agreed Shawn. "Let's see it."

Shawn was surprised to see almost thirty things on Kerianne's list! Among other things, he read, "Shawn slammed the door in my face . . . Shawn messed up my doll house today . . . Shawn called me names." And worst of all, "Shawn hit me when I wouldn't give him some of my candy."

"Oh, no!" moaned Shawn. "If Mom and Dad see this, I'll really get in trouble!"

Kerianne was busy reading Shawn's list. "I will, too," she said. "Shawn, I'm sorry I did all these things." She gave him a pleading look.

"Me, too," said Shawn. Then his face brightened. "Hey, let's tear up these lists," he said. "Being a tattletale isn't as much fun as I thought it was!"

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you like to tattle? Wouldn't it be better to forgive others and try harder to get along? Think of all the things for which God has forgiven you. Will you forgive, too, and not be a "tattletale"?

TODAY'S KEY VERSE: (Colossians 3:13)
Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

No comments: