Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I Can't See It!

"I'll believe it when I see it!" scoffed Kurt, reaching for a drumstick.

"Oh, Kurt!" exclaimed Lisa. "I really did see a squirrel without a tail! You never believe anything!"

"We believe quite a few things we can't see," said Mom thoughtfully.

"I know . . . I know," muttered Kurt. "Like wind and electricity, right?"

"Yes, and lots of other things, too," replied Mom as she passed the potatoes. "Many important things in life can't be seen. Take love, for example. We see evidence-or results-of love, but we can't see the love itself."

"Or friendship," suggested Lisa. "You can't tell by looking at a picture that someone is your best friend."

"You can't know if a person is honest just by looking at him, either," added Dad. "All these things we've mentioned are seen only by knowing the person."

"What about believing in God?" asked Lisa. "You can't actually see Him."

"That's true. Remember Thomas in the Bible?" asked Dad. "He insisted he had to see Jesus before he could believe in the resurrection. Thomas was allowed to see Him, but Jesus said those who believe without seeing Him are blessed. We believe through faith, and God blesses that."

"If we didn't believe without having seen Him, no one would become a Christian," observed Mom.

"That's right," agreed Dad. "And did you hear who became a Christian just last Sunday? Pastor Baker told me today that Nick Pratt accepted Christ after the evening service."

"Nick Pratt!" exclaimed Kurt in surprise. "I'll believe that when I see it." He spoke the phrase automatically, a doubtful look on his face. "You know what he's like!"

"You just wait, Kurt," said Lisa. "You'll see the evidence of Jesus in Nick Pratt's life, too. You just wait!"

Kurt was silent-thinking. Suddenly he grinned. "Okay,"
he said. "I know God can change him, too. Tell you what . . . from now on my
motto will be 'I'll see it when I believe it'! Do you like that better?" He
noticed there were smiles all around the table.


HOW ABOUT YOU?
Would you say that you believe only in what you can see? You believe in air, sound, and fun, don't you? These are among the many things that can't be seen-you only see the evidence of them. You can't see Jesus today, either, but you can see the evidence of His life in the lives of Christians. Put away your doubts and put your faith in Him-He's real. Accept Him as your Savior today. (See the ABCs at the end of this book.)

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
Whom having not seen you love. 1 Peter 1:8

No comments: